Seattle allows Uber drivers unionized. Below are fare comparisons between Seattle and Detroit. Don't be individual; United we stand.
A letter from our drivers
First I want to say thank you. I have been driving since last May, and have seen my earnings go down from over saturation of drivers, and unsustainable fares. I have been talking to other drivers and believe there is support among our fellow drivers. We must use technology to help with the recruiting of drivers to our cause. May I foward your email to 20 or so drivers, Along with the link to http://www.uberally.net/ ?
I will commit to helping in any way I can. Thanks again,
Below is our reply:
Yes, absolutely. Please spread words on http://www.uberally.net/ to drivers you met. We noticed Uber's recent changes on their smartphone apps:
1 ) On rider app, Uber only gives a button named "Get Fare Estimate". Rider cannot see how cheap the rate is (for example, $0.30/mile in Detroit or $0.75/mile in Atlanta). With the saturated drivers around, many passengers believe drivers make good money.
2) At the end of trip, the fares are different shown on rider and driver app. On the rider app, that's the total money rider paid to Uber. On the driver app, that is driver's payout after all Uber's deductions. The difference is the amount going to Uber's deep pocket. Please click http://www.uberally.net/public-news/why-drivers-dislike-short-trips For example, on a $5 trip paid by riders, the driver got $2.64 and Uber took $2.36
3) At the end of trip, we tried to show rider the amount of our payout. Uber is aware of this and thus, intentionally keeps the payout calculation taking an unbelievable long time. On the driver app, the message "processing..." seems endless. Riders are on the go and don't have time to wait and see the final number pop out. Riders will be shock to see how much they paid and how much the driver actually received after Uber's deductions.
4) Because the fare system is in two different platforms. Uber has lots of room to manipulate. Riders feel Uber increasing the fare to increase drivers' income too. However, the increasing portion is the safe ride fee (now, called as booking fee) that will all go to Uber and leave no penny to drivers.
5) Rider complains being charged 6x or 9x higher. What if rider pays 6X but driver only got 3X? You really cannot tell but it's possible.
6) Is the driving time and distance accurate? Drivers have no way to verify. Fare is based on time and distance. We keep our fingers crossed Uber's measurement and calculation are accurate. On the other hand, taxi meter is regularly inspected and calibrated by the authority.
7) If driver compared the toll road charges line by line, most of the time, they will catch Uber mistakes either short paid or not paid at all to reimburse the tolls to drivers. Each week, claiming a $5-10 short reimbursement from Uber is not uncommon. Think about if Uber underpays $5-10 to each driver every week, how much Uber can easily gain?
8) Stop believing Uber takes 20 - 25% commission out of the fare. Other than commission, there are also airport surcharge, safe ride fee or booking fee. In an average, Uber takes 40% out of any trip charge the passengers paid. This is a very greedy company. They took 40% and left all operation cost (car, insurance, maintenance, gas, dead miles, waiting time, etc.) to drivers.
9) Lower fares attract more low-quality passengers. As a result, driving Uber becomes a low pay and high risk job.
10) City shall regulate the Uber company in the following three aspects:
a. Cap the surging price to protect the public interests (maximum surge shall be 2x and no more) b. Set the minimum fare to protect driver's welfare (at least $1.80/mile or higher) c. Cap the number of drivers to eliminate the traffic congestion. (as in a fair competition, the number of drivers shall be less than the number of taxi drivers in the city).
Drivers need to unite together. We need more drivers to join. We need to verify the driver's information. We are a closed group. None of our members needs to worry about being deactivated by Uber. In this closed group, Uber has no-way, no-how, ever to get our member list. Period.
Driver Alerts click map to view
Search this site
Our goal is to show power and force Uber increasing UberX rate to at least $1.80/mile + $0.30/min + $5.00 Base Fee + $10.00 Cancellation. Together, we can make this happen.